Monday, April 07, 2008

Playing Rough


Here are some rough sketches I did for the girl "Cricket" in the last post. She's from one of several projects I've pitched over the last few years that slipped through the cracks during the executive coup. "The Dungeonhood" is about teenage monsters who live in a dungeon neighborhood beneath a large Medieval kingdom. Cricket here is the daughter in a goblin family, and the implication is that she might not be a goblin herself. Maybe, just maybe, since all this garbage floats down into the sewers from the kingdom above, she did too.

The "Sailor Moon" outfit was just a joke on my part, since I'd started off making her look so Anime. I haven't decided whether she'll keep it or not.

My plan is to keep refining the designs and eventually to make toys out of them. I know a lot of you have done similar things, so if you know any great sculptors or anything about manufacturing, I'd be willing to listen.

Here's another character, "Francis", from the same project.


And the title design I whipped up for the pitch bible.



I don't know if I'll show any more from The Dungeonhood just yet. Most of my time now is going to working on yet another new pitch. Remeber, those of you who want to pitch shows, that you have to be willing to see most of your ideas swirling down the toilet bowl. Some people will say, "Don't get too attached to your ideas," but I think that's a stupid thing to say. If you don't care about what you're pitching, you sure as hell ain't gonna be able to make anyone else care. So, yeah, it's gonna be Sophie's Choice every single frickin' time.

In other news, Underfist is done! Thanks again to all of you who worked on it. You should be damn proud!

21 Comments:

Blogger Nick Downing said...

sounds cool is this a pitch for a show or is it just the toys thing and is it your only idea or no?

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now all we have to do is wait until October to see Underfist. What will I do until then?

1:58 PM  
Blogger Jay Dugger said...

Keep up the good work! I buried my last television set when GABM went off the air. I might have to resurrect it for Underfist.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Kieran Pertnav said...

I guess this means we won't be seeing the Dungeonhood on TV anytime soon, but at least there will be toys. Congradulations on finishing Underfist. I'm really looking forward to seeing it, but I guess I'll have to wait until Halloween.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Ash Collins said...

thanks for the good advice there.

also, this looks like a sweet idea for a show! it shoulda been made based on those drawings alone!

3:13 AM  
Blogger Jaywalker said...

Cricket reminds me of Fang from Dave the Barbarian.
Are all the monsters teenage or only the main characters?
Oh, and she doesn't look the least like a goblin... not that I would know any... It's just, she looks pretty human... for a drawing, that is.

(she should definetly keep the sailor moon outfit! It's funny.)

Toys!!! Yay! (but please, no trading cards. they're annoying)

5:07 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

looks and sounds pretty awesome! great to hear Underfist is done, can't wait until the premiere

9:07 AM  
Blogger Uncle Phil said...

woo! I can't wait to taste the FIST!

1:05 PM  
Blogger 1 said...

Jay Dugger, whoever thee may be, I too disposed of my TV (and the damn cable company, rip offs!) when Billy and Mandy was taken off....
But, because I live in Wyoming, resurrection of my TV to catch Underfist (which sounds good!) may be a bit hard...I shot it with my 30.06
So that means, I must purchace a new set, get a better servise peoples, and a new chair to enjoy this one (which sounds like it's well worth the 500$) Also, Mr Atoms, I know narry a thing about toy manufacturing, but I could ask around a bit (you'd be surpried how many large-scale company people live out here) and see if I can't do something, if you like.
~From
Me

2:36 PM  
Blogger Bookish.Spazz said...

Yes! I can't wait for underfist!
Also, cricket looks killa awesome! haha I'd totally buy a doll of her! woo toys

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't keep the Sailor Moon outfit, it wouldn't fit with the theme of the show, it doesn't exactly scream cavegirl or goblin or anything from a Middle Earth setting. In fact, the mew design looks way much better IMO. Even if your pitch doesn't make it, perhaps you could make it into a short comic for us to remember and cherish.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

I look forward to the Underfist, I'll just need to find something to fill in the time while I wait!

5:05 AM  
Blogger Arwen said...

Oh wow I can't wait for Underfist! And I hope Dungeonhood goes well.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Maxwell Atoms said...

It's all trading cards and Anime outfits from here on out. anything that'll get more people to smash their TVs!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Mukpuddy said...

Great post dude!! Toys will be awesome!!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Brian Puthuff said...

Thanks for sharing the goodies! The Dungeonhood concept is excellent, and I'd love to see something come out of it that we can all get our grubby little hands on. =)

5:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pretty awesome. I felt that she was part of something bigger. Are you going to pitch a series to cartoon network for the "Cartoonstitute" thing? The toys would be awesome anyway...and trading cards pretty nice. Maybe a video games or a comic would be good too. XD

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd certainly watch The Dungeonhood if it made it to the television somehow.

And maybe you could have the Sailor Moon outfit for one episode because she's trying something new, have everyone be like "what the heck looks to magical girl" and then she changes to her more goblin outfit. it would be giggleriffic

7:35 PM  
Blogger flightless said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Todd Kauffman said...

yup - i know a bunch about toy manufacturing. if you'd like some info you can reach me here - neptoonstudios@gmail.com

you can see some of my vinyls here - www.neptoonstudios.blogspot.com

best,
~t.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Maxwell Atoms said...

Thanks, Todd!

I've admired your blog before so I'll definitely get in touch with you when I return from mighty Japan...

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home