Thursday, August 09, 2007

A Picture's Worth a Thousand Comic Cons!

Comic Con was busy this year. A sweaty, humid, stinky kind of busy. Like ten thousand stormtroopers cried out that they wanted to bathe, but were suddenly silenced. I think at one point it took me almost an hour just to find the people I was supposedly with. Of course, during that time I got to see Star Trek's "Q", had a cute girl in red shorts flirt with me (and mysteriously vanish), bought a really cool print of an elephant with fire coming out of his trunk (which mysteriously vanished), ate a really tasty pretzel dog, and found the print again.

CN's booth was a little bigger than last year, and I think we had a much better location. That being right across from the one-legged pinup girl from the "Planet Terror" booth. The kids waiting in line to get their picture taken with the Eds couldn't take their eyes off her. Remember: There's no better babysitter than a hot amputee.

I have to thank all the fans who came and overfilled our auditorium for the panel. Even though it's been a rough year (and in some ways it was a rough Comic Con), it's nice to be reminded why I'm doing this in the first place. Everyone had great questions and everyone I got to meet in person seemed pretty nice. I mean I'm sure some of you were jerks, but thanks for suppressing your natural urges for a few moments during our encounter.

It was great to meet Nick from MySpace after all this time, and great to see Tara again, if only for a moment!

A special thanks goes out to Kristin for making this for me on her birthday. Way to think outside the box!



And another special shout-out to Major Doctor Ghastly, seen here with CN Executive Jay Bastian. And look! She even brought the Chief along for the ride. Ghastly... come home baby. I miss you.


So here are a few moments of what you missed if you weren't able to come. And if you were able to come... let this be a sobering reminder of what a nerd you are.

Comic Con Fun!




The infamous Elvis Trooper hangs with my pal Jabba.




Geeks. Why did it have to be geeks?


It seems none shall pass without receiving a thorough
tongue lashing from James...

For those of you wondering what Comic Con is really all about,
it is this:

A bunch of people on the phone. All the time.
What, are they looking for something bigger and better?
Why not talk to me? I'm right here.
Am I not good enough? Is that it?

Oh wait. I'm doing it too.


"Batman drinks because his parents are dead."
-Curtis Lelash, 2007


Hangin' with the Beastmasters.

The 2007 Creator's Dinner


Danny Antonucci and I express our primal cartoon rage.


Once he sobered up with the help if his Boy Wonder, Batman was
able to apprehend The Nerd, once again rescuing Gotham
from an evil plot to corrupt children with crude fart jokes.



Signing bags with the voice talent!



Greg Eagles (The Grim Reaper), Vanessa Marshall (Irwin),
and Richard Horvitz (Billy) were all there, yo! Where were you!?


I still can't believe he really did it!


Curtis and I killed Superman. Again.


See you next year...

...?

19 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'd have been there at comic con this year, no wait, I'd be at every comic con but I suffer from a little thing called, no transportation. If it would come like 3 or 4 states away from mine, I'd be there. Anyway it looks like you had fun and if you didn't, oh well.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll be there next year, if I have to kill someone to get there. Wait ..... what?

Looks like a great time. =)

11:55 AM  
Blogger Taco Wiz said...

A post about comic con, but no updated info on Cartoon Network Universe: Fusion Fall [www.fusionfall.com]? IT'S MADNESS! MAAADDNESSSSS!!!!!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Nick Downing said...

i feel special i got mentioned in the post and i finnaly got a blog to bad i missed you at the tour the other day but i saw alot of cool stuff there. im happy carl took that much time to show us around. hopfully we'll cross paths sometime in the eer future.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

darn! wish I could've been there!! I just can't look at those pics anymore... they make me more mad I couldn't be there, but yet I can't look away! Why do you torment me? Why Maxwell, Why?
I swear I will go to one of these... if its the last thing I do!!
Looks like you had fun though!! :D

11:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh lord. My dolly==*so* not made right. It was my first doll I ever made, so there ya go. *is greatly amused that you posted its silliness* I really appreciate that you didn't laugh so horribly hard directly at my skull and send my face flying in filthy chunks all over the con. *nods*

I still have the intention of making a doll of the Meteor with little tentacles and eyebally goodness, (but I have a lot of practicing to do before I ruin the proportions again and end up making odd little censor-undies to make up for it!)

Thanks again for making my 21st birthday the best and signing my DVD! Here is a link to the picture my guy took from the day of the panel:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/iamamoogle/comiccon07_34.jpg

2:23 AM  
Blogger John E. B. said...

Man Im glad I found this Blog I love your stuff.I swaer You John Kricfalusi Danny Antonucci and John Dilworth are Like the beatles of cartoons Your so revolutionary!Well anyway you rock and I can guarentee you Ill be coming back here.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Cammiluna said...

And I thought Anime cons were crazy!

Thank you for this lovely insight on Comic Con! It makes me want to try and go next year!

'Maybe dress up as Eris, too. Maybe. My attempt to dress up as Nergal Jr. for Otakon this year failed hardcore and all that's left of THAT costume now is a red scarf and a lone tentacle...

But anyway! Thanks again, you crazy weirdo, you! ♥

9:34 AM  
Blogger Niko Anesti said...

God, I miss it every year, but I was really mad this year. I woulda had a blast! All the cool goodies you can snag, meeting professional cartoonists, getting inside info...I'm such a huge cartoon geek, I'd be in heaven! Ehh, hopefully next year. I'm already planning for it. Just in case.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Tyler "RELYT1992" Kirk said...

I am going next year. I hope you go.

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw man, so many comments!

Let's see... To the one of you and Jamie with the Ark of the Covenant: YES! Haha I love it!

Oh, and to you on the phone: Better be me you where txting!

Aaaand... Oh, to any picture of Rich: I told him he needs to hang out with me next summer if I make it to con. No options. I shall hogtie him and errrathang.

That about covers it.
My foots asleep and I need to use the little artist's room so I'll bug ya some mo later.

Love,
Me

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if i ever end up getting over my fear of those conventions I really want to get my ass to one of your panels. If you're still going to be doing them i mean. do you ever attend any that are closer to the east coast?
p.s. after a few months of being away from home with no cable I came back and watched the billy&mandy specials that I had missed. and i was so excited that i drew this: http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/2407/creeperdr2.jpg
i am far too lazy to color in anything but flats these days but i hope you like iiittt.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Taco Wiz said...

It seems somebody deleted all the episode articles on Wikipedia. Maybe we can construct a Billy and Mandy Wiki full of character and episode articles. Also, nice drawing Deadkitty. It's weird and creepy. Boogie looks like an old man.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mr. Atoms, you are one snappy dresser. I bet all the girls wanted to dance with you.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does CN ever appear at DragonCon in Atlanta? That'd be the most likely convention I could attend. That is, of course, assuming you still attend COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSS!!!

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Maxwell... I'm 13 years old, and i started animating about a year ago.

Me and my friends made a first cartoon about 3 months ago. I know you might not care, or even get a chance to see this i wanted to at leats have the chance to have an amazing cartoonist like you actually see this.

here's the link to the video.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u166/ACE_cartoons/GardenPests-2.swf

and if you do get a chance to read this and see the video, please send me and e-mail to jcmekilo@cs.com

2:17 PM  
Blogger The Enfiveinator said...

I wish I could've been there. Sometimes living in Wisconsin has its downs... like Mr. Kennedy...

...

...

Kennedy...

Yea, those of you who are not into wrestling won't get that joke.

But still, being in Wisconsin, having a weekend job, and being the only one in my family that's into cartoons and stuff as much as I am... those were all factors in why I couldn't go.

Someday...someday...

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you guys ever do ComicCon on the East Coast at all?
I'm a fan of your work, and I would love to meet you.
By the by, that suit is highly snazzy on you.

-Loz

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello

It is my first time here. I just wanted to say hi!

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home