Monday, January 08, 2007

The Comic Book That Never Was

As I've posted elsewhere, I do a lot of drawing but very little of what I actually draw is ever seen by the public. Almost everything I draw for Billy and Mandy is redrawn by the animators in Korea, so it's a special treat for me to be able to do something finished that people can actually see. That's why I was so excited when I got an offer from the lovely and talented Voltaire to do some pages for his new Deady comic. Those of you unfamiliar with Voltaire might know him as the singer/songwriter/musician who brought you "Brains" from the Billy and Mandy episode "Little Rock of Horror". Voltaire's also done a new song for the opening titles of the upcoming DVD.


After finishing the two pages for Deady, I got bit by the comic bug and decided to do my own. I'm always happiest when I'm working (at least mentally) on two or three different projects, and I've had a story I wanted to tell in comic form so I started screwing around on my then new Wacom screen.

I knew if I was going to do a comic in my "spare time", it would have to be something I could do relatively quickly. The images below were tests I did completely on the tablet just to see if I could crank things out fast enough to actually get it done.


The images above and below were roughed out freehand with the pencil tool in Photoshop, then cleaned-up and filled with the polygonal lasso tool. The above image came out pretty good, all things considered. The one below feels too jaggy to me. Eventually I abandoned the method.


The image below is a variation on the female character up top. This one I sketched out with the pencil tool and then colored over top as though I were using markers. It came out okay. Of course, finally, I dropped the entire comic because Billy and Mandy's Big Boogey Adventure dropped in my lap like a ton of spiked cinderblocks.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're saying the new Voltaire song(Land of the Dead, if I ain't mistaking) will be part of the Boogey Adv?

That thing is just getting better and better, I can't wait to see it!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Maxwell Atoms said...

Yessir. Yessir it is.

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! It's me Liam again. Here's a suggestion about the comic:

Why don't you pitch it to Albert Uderzo, the creator of my favorite comic, Asterix. But since his humor is French and yours is American, maybe you can write the script and Uderzo can illustrate the pictures.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home